Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to common questions, click on each question to reveal the answer.

General Questions

Questions Related to I-20 and Visa Status

Questions Related to the TOEFL

Questions Related to Work

How many current students are attending TU from my home country?

To find out if your country is represented at The University of Tulsa please click here.

Back to top

Does TU offer scholarships to International Students?

Yes! The University of Tulsa offers the International Leadership Scholarship to well-qualified international applicants. This is a merit-based scholarship based on the student’s academic background as well as extracurricular and leadership experience. The award is offered to select freshmen applicants at the time of admission. Students must submit a completed application for admission with all the required supporting documents. No additional scholarship application is needed and all qualified applicants are automatically considered. Award values vary from $2,000 to $17,000 USD. The initial award is for one year and is renewable as long as the student maintains full-time enrollment and a 2.0 cumulative GPA at The University of Tulsa. Eligible students may renew up to three times for a total of four years of study. Early applicants are considered favorably.

If outside scholarships received, in combination with TU scholarship funds, exceed the student’s basic charges of TU tuition, room and board, the university reserves the right to adjust any awarded funds.

Back to top

What is the cost of tuition and the fee structure?

A complete breakdown of tuition, fees and expenses can be found here.

Back to top

What are the personal expenses listed fees and tuition budget?

Personal expenses are listed so the students have a reasonably good idea about the total expense of attending The University of Tulsa. Personal expenses include items such as movie tickets, dining out, personal items and other personal expenses and fees not listed in the cost breakdown.

Back to top

I have changed my degree program or level. Is it necessary to change my I-20 to reflect my current program or level?

Your I-20 should always reflect your current degree program. So, if you change degree programs, you need to come by our office so we can issue you another I-20 that reflects the changes.

Back to top

I have changed my major. Should I get a new I-20 that reflects my new major?

Under current F-1 regulations, it is required that your new I-20 reflect your change in major.

Back to top

I would like my spouse and/or children to join me in the United States. What do I need to do to allow them to come with me?

You will need to request a dependent I-20 form from the International Student Services Office. Your dependents must apply to the US Embassy/Consulate for F-2 entry visa stamps. They must also present the dependent I-20, evidence of financial resources, and evidence of intent to return home. They may also be asked to present a copy of your transcript.

See Also:
Immigration Issues
Student Visa Information

Back to top

Can I take English classes at TU before enrolling in academic courses?

Yes, the University of Tulsa offers conditional academic admission and permits students to begin studies at our English Institute for International Students (EIIS) prior to enrolling in academic courses. Interested students should complete the International Undergraduate Admission form and indicate that they wish to fulfill the English requirement by studying at TU’s EIIS. Upon official acceptance to TU, a place will be reserved in the Intensive English Program (IEP) for the student. Following successful completion of the IEP (or submission of a qualifying TOEFL or IELTS score – see here), the student will be permitted to enroll in academic courses.

Back to top

Can I take English Institute classes at the same time that I am taking academic classes?

No. Students who do not meet the university’s English proficiency requirements are not eligible to take academic courses. The IEP is a full-time English program. Students who have been admitted to the Pathway to Academics program (see here) are enrolled in an academic writing course and a mathematics class in addition to their English Institute classes.

Back to top

What are the charges for taking English Institute courses?

Details on tuition and fees can be found on the individual pages for the EIIS Intensive English Program and Pathway to Academics Program.

Back to top

Why must I take English classes?

The level of academic English that is required for you to be successful in your classes at TU is high. Acquiring advanced proficiency in a language without a teacher is very difficult. Students who have not demonstrated sufficient proficiency in English for academic study need to work with a teacher who is specifically trained to teach English as a Second Language. In the EIIS, you will also benefit from a small class environment. Because of the challenge of mastering university-level English skills, we do not allow you to take both English Institute courses and academic courses at the same time.

Back to top

Is it possible to work on campus?

Yes. F-1 international students do not need permission to work on campus. J-1 students require SEVIS updates prior to working on campus, so you will need to come to the ISS office to discuss work opportunities with the SEVIS compliance coordinator. However, the jobs must not exceed 20 hours per week and must be paid from university, not government, funds.

Back to top

What are some of the on-campus jobs?

There are jobs available in several of the computer labs across campus. There also are jobs in the fitness center, dining services, housing and the library. In addition, the Career Planning and Placement office may know of jobs that are available on campus.

Back to top

My spouse is here on a F-2/J-2 visa and he/she would like to work

No. Individuals holding F-2 status are not, under any circumstances, allowed to work in the U.S. This includes student positions on campus. However, individuals holding a J-2 visa may request work authorization from USCIS. Please call and make an appointment with the SEVIS compliance coordinator if you have questions about this process.

Back to top

I am an F-1 student who would like to gain work experience off-campus in a job related to my field of study

You may be able to obtain off-campus work authorization to work in a job related to your field of study. Come to the International Student Services Office to discuss this option. You must have been in F-1 status for at least one academic year to be eligible for off-campus employment.

Back to top

I am an F-1 student who will graduate soon. How do I receive permission to work in the United States after graduation?

If you are completing your program of study, you may be eligible to apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training. This application must be recommended by our office and approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This process can take up to 3 months, so please allow sufficient time for approval to be received before you plan to begin working. The employment authorization will allow you to work in a job related to your field of study.

Back to top

I am a J-1 student who will graduate soon. How do I receive permission to work in the United States after graduation?

You may be eligible to apply for Academic Training once you receive your job offer. The application must be completed and signed by your academic adviser and submitted to the ISS office for approval at least two weeks prior to the program end date listed on your DS-2019. If it is approved, the employment authorization will allow you to work in a specific job directly related to your field of study for 18 months. Please come to the ISS office for additional information regarding academic training.

Back to top