All international applicants to the University of Tulsa are required to demonstrate proficiency in English for academic entry. The University of Tulsa accepts a variety of options for demonstrating English proficiency. Non-native English speakers must meet one of the standards listed below or provide evidence of language competency.
- IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge English preferred scores (scores must be less than two years old)
- TOEFL iBT 70 or higher with certain minimum sub-scores ranging from 15-18 (TU’s institution code is 6883 for requesting TOEFL scores from ETS)
- Paper-based TOEFL 525 or above with a minimum of 50 on all sub-scores (only a TU institutional TOEFL score will be accepted)
- IELTS 6.0 overall or higher with subscores of 6.0 in Reading, Listening and Speaking, and 5.5 in Writing
- A Cambridge English score of 169 with no individual score below 162
- A Duolingo English Test (DET) score of 51 or higher
- Successful completion of The University of Tulsa Intensive English Program
- Successful completion of The University of Tulsa Pathway to Academics Program
- Successful completion of ELS Level 112
- Successful completion of The Language Company (TLC) Level 9
- Successful completion of Kaplan English Advanced Level OR Kaplan English Higher Intermediate Level with Kaplan iBT 70
- Students attending high school in the USA are encouraged to submit TOEFL or IELTS results, but SAT or ACT scores may be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Successful completion of at least 30 credit hours of academic coursework upon transfer from a college or university in the US.
International students attending high school in the USA are encouraged to submit TOEFL or IELTS results, but SAT or ACT scores may be accepted on a case-by-case basis. The Admissions office reserves the option to request TOEFL or IELTS scores if deemed necessary. Any questions about this can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditional admission is available for students who are academically qualified but do not yet demonstrate sufficient English proficiency for academic study. Students receiving conditional admission may attend the English Institute for International students prior to academic study, or may submit an updated TOEFL or IELTS score.
Students from majority native English-speaking countries are exempt from the English proficiency requirement. See below for relevant countries/territories.
List of TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Countries/Territories
- Antigua and Barbuda
- The Bahamas
- British Virgin Islands
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Falkland Islands
- New Zealand
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos
- United Kingdom